Sunday, July 3, 2011

Sacrifice is to love as peanut butter is to jelly

Tomorrow is my favorite holiday, right after Christmas and equal to Thanksgiving. Why do I love the Fourth of July? It's the warm summer weather, the picnics, the fireworks, the memories of running around barefoot with watermelon in hand. Plus I love this country! It's been a little frustrating this year to hear nothing but criticism on people's statuses and casual conversation. "You know, other countries think we are really stupid for not doing things the way the rest of the developed world does." Seriously, I don't care one iota what other countries think we should be doing. It was our desire to break away from what the rest of the world was doing in the beginning that started this country. Do I think America is the best country in the world? No. Do I think our way is the best way? No. I think we have a long way to go before we reach the ideal that the founding fathers principles suggest. And I think every American would agree with me when I say that I think we are heading in the wrong direction. However, I can't see the benefit in bitter criticism. Its easy to express to the world ones criticism and distaste for America while sitting in a comfortable home, typing away on a fancy computer during the glorious leisure time. It is easy to criticize something for which you have made no sacrifice.

I have this friend from Ireland with that beautifully poetic accent. I love to listen to her talk because I feel like I'm listening to a magical Irish tale about mermaids. When we first met I would express to her my love of Ireland and its rich history and how I would love to visit it some day. I was surprised by her lack of enthusiasm for her country. I just assumed that most everyone had a special place in their heart for their homeland. I listened as she told me about how a majority of the people there are going nowhere with their life and how many of them have drinking problems. She also talked about the poor upkeep of the roads and towns. "It is a depressing place to be and I have no love for my country." I thought it was sad that I held more appreciation for her country than she did. Just the day before we had had a conversation about how she thought Americans were crazy to not have their government take care of its people more. She said that in Ireland everything is paid for. After several conversations about the issue I was left with an image of a country where everyone was being paid to do nothing with their lives and so were left to drinking and depression. I know I probably don't have it exactly right but it seems to make sense to me. Since this time I have continued to meet people from other countries who seem to have no deep love for their country. At the same time, they also have a lot of criticism about America. Within the same conversation I have heard some telling me how foolish Americans are while at the same time expressing plans to try to gain citizenship here.

America (or any country) IS the heart of its people. To have a heart full of gratitude, even when there may be little to be grateful for, is the real "hope" and "change" we need to see in this country. That is what will invite the spirit of goodness, bravery, nobility and ultimately God, back into this country. And in the words of Francis Scott Key, it is"... that power that hath made and preserved us a nation." When I listen to the national anthem play it never fails to bring tears to my eyes. Not because I think America is perfect. But because I am humbled and overcome with gratitude for the staggering sacrifices that have been made by so many so that I could be planted in fertile soil and grow toward my full potential.

Happy Fourth of July!

4 comments:

  1. thats not how the uk is, although there is alot of problem with drinking. its really a historical issue that we are in danger of falling prey to. britain used to employ alot of people through the military, and had bases all over the world. however after the decline of their miltary they became more a "welfare state" focusing at home and not abroad because they lost significant military power. this meant people could have healthcare and education, but it couldnt fix the housing issues or the unemployment, which is still something they struggle with today. and thats where the us is headed. i love the uk and i think they do alot right and we could learn from them. and from our own mistakes. but i think america has alot going for it as well. i'd hate to see that waste away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was put beautifully! And it was written with such wisdom and professionalism. I love the Forth of July too, and am grateful to have the blessings in my life that God has chosen to give me. Including living here in the United States. =) Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said Rachel! I couldn't agree more and I'm sure grandma Whitaker would be proud. I love America too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this. And I agree. I don't understand why we have to think America is "best" in order to love it. Why is it a competition? Why do people need it to be best? Can't we just love it for what it is?

    Also, I agree about how easy it is to criticize when you're sitting in your comfy home typing away on a computer with all the luxuries we enjoy.

    I like you. :-)

    ReplyDelete