Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Men and Poofy Hair

These past few months have caused me (more like forced me) to take a good long awkward look at myself. At first I thought I had something in my teeth but that wasn't it. A good friend visited this week from out of town. She and I are in about the same stage of life. We've been in the dating world for at least a decade now and have had *DTRs with guys to the point of nauseum. I've concluded that chick flicks ruin love. It's true! They lead young, susceptible and yes, stupid girls to confuse LOVE with EMOTION. While the two are not mutually exclusive, they are definitely NOT the same thing. I looked around me and saw lots of very miserable people who had gotten married based on this assumption. I now can't sit through a chick flick without feeling nauseous (Anne of Green Gables and Pride and Prejudice don't count as chick flicks). This realization has started me down a completely new and exciting path. One where love is not something that happens on a whim and is not about loss of control but about my very own choices. I love this quote by Queen Gwenevere in First Knight. She says, "Feelings change from day to day but my will holds me steady to my course through life." How wonderfully amazing! I am not a prisoner to my feelings as the media portrays! And the coolest part is, the more I am unselfish and sacrifice for someone else, the MORE my love grows. All the fear of getting hurt and self-consciousness just kind of melt away into selfless desire to make the other person happy. As the fat rich mouse lady in American Tail says, "FWEEEEEDOM!!!"

I recently saw a movie about the Willie Martin handcart company. It was full of amazing examples of love and sacrifice and self-control. When it was over and I was walking out, teary eyed, I saw a poster for a movie entitled This Is Love and it had a picture of a guy and girl bei
ng all moonstruck like any typical chick flick. I have no idea what the movie is about but it made me compare the kind of love I had just seen to the shallow, showy, emotional diarrhea that the media tries to pass off as love. Why is it that people are so hesitant to make daily sacrifices for each other for fear of being "taken advantage of", and yet casually sleeping around is becoming so common? Also, why does the girl in the c
hic flick always have to be so mean to the guy of interest in the beginning? There are two sure ways to spot who the love interests are in a movie.

1. The guy with the poofy hair will be the love interest.
2. The girl who is rude and too busy for love will be the one the guy falls for.

There will be a lazy yet funny friend thrown in there somewhere too, and maybe a dog.

So why the poofy hair? It says, "Run your fingers through THIS!" or possibly, "We can do our hair together in the mornings." I did once date a guy with better, and yes, longer hair than me. Was I jealous? Yes I was. But mine was still poofier. Did it cause me to feel insecure in my femininity? Nah... I still looked better in a dress. Not that he wore dresses. Anyway... I also dated a totally bald guy once and since that day my family has proceeded to point out every bald guy they see. "Hey Rachel, I bet you like him!" I don't know if it's some kind of psychological brainwashing but bald men have started to stand out to me more. Alright! It's out! I like bald guys. I think it is my subconscious way of rejecting chick flicks.







11 comments:

  1. * DTR - Discuss The Relationship

    Also, I have no idea what happened with the text getting all messed up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL at "emotional diarrhea"!

    Love is an interesting thing. I often wish we had different words for different kinds of love as many other languages do. "Love" has become a multifaceted gem that has grown and portrayed a wide array of colors depending on my stage of life. I'm writing this with one hand as I awkwardly hold fussy Paul in my other, to keep him from crying... because I love him like crazy.

    P.S. Yeah, what's with the poofy hair guys?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, I've been coming to this same realization myself lately... but I never made the poofy hair connection. Maybe we should have paid more attention to Branjamin....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and can I just say how amusing it is to me that you didn't post any pictures of couples kissing? You put one "almost" kiss and that's it. HAHAHAHAHA! Ohh Rachel you crack me up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm still confused about the Aladdin picture... What's the connection?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think now would be a good time to totally creep you out and let you know that I've been reading your blog since Railee introduced me to it a little while ago. This post is a favourite. I absolutely agree with your critique of passing off the mush you see in chick flicks as being "love". I'm glad I'm not the only one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey! I think that friend was me. :) I enjoyed your post mucho!

    ReplyDelete