Saturday, December 12, 2009

I shot the sheriff. Don't worry, he was diabetic.

Clinicals were a bit more interesting this week than they have been in the past. We're actually getting to do something other than make sure old people don't fall on their way to the bathroom. I already do that kind of stuff for work anyway. But this week I actually felt like a nurse. I had a med cart and I was giving shots and stuff. I never realized how many people are diabetic! Over half the people on my hall had to get from one to two shots three times a day! One lady had a huge open wound in her stomach the size and depth of a football. Because she is diabetic we are all hoping the wound heals before any other complications occur. The more I learn about diabetes the more horrible it sounds! I would do anything to keep from getting it. The ironic thing is that there are so many overweight diabetic nurses giving themselves insulin shots between giving them to clients.

Side note
I realize that becoming a nurse greatly increases my likelihood of becoming overweight. I'm not sure why though. Maybe its all the stress and the family members bringing you cookies and treats. Or it could be the curse of the scrubs. You wear big baggy scrubs all day and don't realize how big you are getting under them! I have experienced all of this as a CNA. BUT I have also seen many nurses in great shape so it MUST be possible!

So yes! My partner and I were so excited for our first day of giving shots on people other than each other. We had been practicing in class a bit so naturally we were pros! We got to our hall, got all our stuff ready, filled our needles, got all the air bubbles out. Then, holding the needle correctly and well capped, I started to march into the first room. My partner put her hand on my shoulder and said, "Wait! Maybe we should get the chart that tells us which patients need the shots." I looked at her and froze, needle in hand, "Oh yeah. Good idea." We laughed about walking in to give some poor old man a shot.
Old Man - "But I don't need a shot."
Us - "Shut up ya old bag!"
But seriously! I don't know what they are thinking letting me have needles and narcotics and medications! I didn't kill anyone though so I guess it was a pretty successful first week.

2 comments:

  1. one of my coworkers is diabetic and she had a diabetic seizure a couple weeks ago. it seemed about a million times worse than epilepsy. i am very glad i have epilepsy and not diabetis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mother is diabetic. So I purposely try not to learn too much about it eith how bad it can get, cause I dont want to worry about my mom.

    ReplyDelete