Sunday, December 6, 2009

butterflies vs grasshoppers

If you chase a butterfly and try to catch it, you'll either end up injuring its wings or it will just fly as far away from you as possible. But if you just relax, smile and enjoy the it when it comes your way, it will land right on you. My mom once told a guy who was pursuing me without much success that I was like a butterfly. When this friend told me that I felt completely stupid. "Hey mister! My mommy said I'm a butterfly so you better be nice to me!" Its become a joke between us. (the guy, my mom and I) If we are going to be relating ourselves to bugs than I would say I'm more like a grasshopper. I'm just not graceful or delicate enough to be a butterfly. I more often hop all over the place than flutter. Plus they do that whole legs music thing and I play the violin so... that's kind of like making music with my legs.


Anyway, I'm doing this blog because, well, everyone else is doing it. Also, I feel like I am often overcrowded in groups and I miss out on getting to know new people. I also have felt lately that because of this, people may get the wrong impression of me. I'm not sure what kind of image I portray in public but I think all of us like to feel like people know and understand the real us.


I was thinking the other day about some of the classy people I know. They dress just right and say all the right things and only associate with the right people. It's really funny when I compare myself with them. I hear them talk about their clients at work. "I met with my client today. He wants to invest money is such and such." or "My client is so not organized. I wish he would get some better time management skills." And I'm thinking My client pooped on the floor today. Then my mind goes blank because I am trying to decide if I should share this or not. Of course not! I think to myself, Don't you dare! At this point I wonder if it is possible to be a nurse and be classy at the same time. Then I think, maybe classy isn't what I want. I just think about my hero Florence Nightingale and I try to put all of her goodness into one word. I think charity comes pretty close. Can there be classiness to charity, even when you're cleaning poop off the floor? Hmmm...


I heard in my class the other day that there are three time orientations that people identify with. There are past, present and future people. I'm totally a present person. I want SO badly to think and plan ahead and not procrastinate and do all the responsible things future people do. But I am always so caught up in enjoying whatever is happening right then. I'm all about the carpe diem (seize the day!) but what about the carpe cras diem (seize tomorrow today)? This is my goal for this week. Carpe cras diem!


3 comments:

  1. don't seize, its no fun :)

    but good luck with the future. i'll take the present.

    and now we're not having fun without you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very much a future person. Planning and always asking myself is what I am doing right now productive and will it help better tomorrow. Really steals away time of getting out for the purpose of fun.

    ReplyDelete